When Wildfire Threatens
- If you are warned that a wildfire is threatening your area, monitor the fire's progress and listen for evacuation orders. If evacuation becomes necessary, take your family and pets to a safe place. If you need assistance finding temporary accommodations, contact the PURE Member Advocate® at 888.813.7873.
- In the event that you are away from home and cannot get back to your residence, please contact us immediately. Our Member Advocates can assist members in securing the services of contractors to take necessary measures to help safeguard your home and valuables.
- During this time, PURE—along with our wildfire mitigation partners—will be monitoring the fire's movement. If the fire threatens your home, our emergency response team may be dispatched to access your home and, if deemed necessary, apply a fire retardant to combustible areas of your property. We will provide you with updates in the event these steps are taken.
Do the following only if time permits:
- Close all entrances to your home and other structures including windows, doors, garage doors, and vents.
- Close shutters, heavy drapes, blinds or other window coverings. Doing so helps to prevent sparks from blowing inside your house and igniting.
- Have tools and water accessible. Fill buckets and other bulk containers with water. Have a shovel, rake and long water hose accessible for firefighting crews.
- Dress to protect yourself. Wear cotton/woolen clothing including long pants, a long-sleeved shirt, gloves and a handkerchief to protect your face.
- Turn off the residential fuel. If you use natural gas or butane, turn it off at the tank or meter.
- Prepare the automobiles. Move as many vehicles as possible into the garage and close the door.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to make the decision to leave. Never jeopardize the personal safety of you and your family.