Long-term solutions for your home:
- Consider elevating any water heater, furnace and electrical panel in your home.
- Install "check valves" in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home.
Make a flood plan:
- Know your homes/areas flood hazards.
- Familiarize yourself with your communities emergency plan.
- Know how to relocate to higher ground.
- Build an emergency preparedness kit—flashlight with extra batteries, first aid supplies (store in an area of your home where you can grab and go if needed).
- Make a list of all critical items you would like to evacuate home with and have backpack(s) ready to be filled with these items – prescriptions, medicines, medical equipment, eyeglasses, hearing aids, priceless items, valuables, photos, etc.
- If you have a pet consider their needs and bring any supplies, medications, etc.
- Make a list of your home's contents by taking photos or video of each room (update every couple of years).
- Purchase sandbags to protect your home. Know if local officials offer free sandbags.
- If located in an area that floods regularly, consider elevating water heaters, furnaces and electric panels.